Re: Character Encodings and the "Currency Symbol"

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 12:18:19AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>     Quest for pure knoweledge is fine, but you forgot to ask for a
> workaround! Either one or both of the following will make Mutt display
> you the currency:
>
> | set strict_mime=no assumed_charset=iso-8859-1
> | charset-hook ^us-ascii$ iso-8859-1

My solution was to write the senders of the email (a bill paying
company) and suggest:

 1) if they want to use non-ascii chars that they report the
    charset they are using.

 2) if they are representing US dollars then maybe the should just use
    the dollar sign as is commonly done in the US.

It may be that I don't fully understand the point of "currency symbol"
(and I have a feeling that maybe it displayed in Outlook as a dollar
symbol in their testing...) but seems like the simple way to go is to
use "$".  I do realized that "$" is used more than for US dollars, of
course.

But, thanks very much for the settings above.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@xxxxxxxx