Re: Character Sets ....

On 14-09-2004, at 10h 15'43", Wilkinson, Alex wrote about "Character Sets ...."
> Knowing sweet FA about using different character sets, I need to ask a quick
> question:
>
> How can I include an 'accent' in a particular word e.g blase.  ??
>
>  - aW

If you use it once each a hundred years, you can just copy and paste
it with the mouse, from somewhere (internet, this e-mail, etc.) to
your editor.

If you use it more often (let say daily) you could configure your
keyboard to do that for you, for instance, if you are a graphical
person, with xkeycaps, just add é (e with acute) to e key on the third
level, then you can access it as AltGr-e. A non graphical approach
wold be (for the same result):

xmodmap -e 'keycode 0x1A = e E eacute Eacute'

Your editor (if smart enough) can help you out. For instance in vim
you can get é by pressing e' and 'e if you add this two lines in
$HOME/.vimrc:

:inoremap 'e é
:inoremap e' é

Additionally if you use xterm, the meta key (the one with the
vvindovvs logo) acts by default to add the eight bit to your ascii
(7 bit) glyphs. Like that i become é, g become ç, etc.

The ascii command might become handy in here:

bucovina ~> ascii 01101001
ASCII 6/9 is decimal 105, hex 69, octal 151, bits 01101001: prints as `i'
Official name: Miniscule i
Other names: Small i, Lowercase i

bucovina ~> ascii 11101001
ASCII 14/9 is decimal 233, hex e9, octal 351, bits 11101001: meta-i

Ascii it would not print the é because this depends of what iso-8859-x
charset you use. é is the same for Latin1, Latin2, Latin9, Latin10 but
it is Cyrillic Capital Letter I for KOI8-R.

Regards,
        Ionel