Header Cache: resource problems ???

As some of you may recall, I have recently experienced problems with my
mutt sessions running in an xterm.

Normally, on one desktop under KDE, I run two (2) separate mutt
sessions, and Alt-Tab between them for various purposes.  This has
worked well for several years.

Recently, coincidentally or not, since upgrading to Debian package
1.5.6-20040818+1, I am experiencing problems as these mutt sessions get
older.  To wit:

    _X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
    _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local

Mid last week, I experienced a system error:

    Too many open files ...

whereupon, both mutt sessions died a horrible death instantaneously, as
well as a couple other unrelated processes.

As I stated above, the problem is progressive, and does not appear until
a given mutt session is used for several hours:

    Initial startup (1x) mutt session:
    lsof | grep mutt | grep cache | wc -l
    2

    Initial startup (2nd) mutt session:
    lsof | grep mutt | grep cache | wc -l
    4

    Change mailbox in each mutt session:
    lsof | grep mutt | grep cache | wc -l
    6

    (12) hours later
    lsof | grep mutt | grep cache | wc -l
    111

    (12) hours after that
    lsof | grep mutt | grep cache | wc -l
    298

Look here to see what is counted above:

    <http://www.helices.org/tmP/lsof.txt>

I *LOVE* this header cache stuff!  I do not want to live without it;
but, it appears to me that that is exactly what is causing my problems
;<

OK, this is an older P3 with 512MB RAM, and nowhere near a Cray.  I am
running Debian:

    # uname -a
    Linux bragi 2.6.3-1-686 #2 Tue Feb 24 20:24:38 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

What is going on?  How can I get to the root cause?  How can I correct
this problem?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,