Re: composing multipart/alternative messages

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:13:53PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> * On 2004.08.24, in <20040824154437.GB3682@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> *     "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The message should be displayed correctly as html in all clients
> > > supporting
> > > this, but should also be displayed nicely in all correctly configured
> > > text-based clients (like the one I am using).
> >
> > Unfortunately, there's no easy interface to do that with mutt.  Sorry.
>
> That's correct, there's no easy interface. However, if you're willing to
> use a hard interface, there's a patch that lets you attach some files,
> then group them as a set of multipart/alternatives.
>
> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.4.dgc.groupalts.2
>
> In the compose menu, attach the two alternatives as if they were regular
> attachments. Tag the parts you want grouped, then press '&' to pull them
> together. Use the + and - keys to change their order.

Thanks a lot for this tip.

After installing slang because of some undefined symbols (getcury and
getcurx) in my hp curses lib I managed to compile mutt 1.5.4 with this patch.

It works quite nicely, but the result is sometimes a bit unexpected. The
Mozilla mailer displays the text part and the old hp mailer displays the html
source code.  But I will experiment a little bit further to get the expected
results...

Malte

--
Malte Neumann
Institute of Structural Mechanics, University of Stuttgart, Germany