Re: mailcap problems

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:49:07PM -0400, parv@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> in message <20040812141527.GA2121@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, wrote Jessica Perry
> Hekman thusly...
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:05:35PM +0930, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
> > > Try the following:
> > >
> > > image/jpeg; eog %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY";
> >
> > Done -- I get the same error message. Is there a way to find out
> > what file it's reading -- to make sure it is actually seeing these
> > entries?
>
> Other way(s) would be to use some tracing programs...
>
>   - strace: trace system calls

I used strace and searched the output for "mailcap." It appears
to be reading ~/.mailcap and nothing else. Hopeful, I copied
/etc/mailcap into ~/.mailcap. No joy! Then I tried Alex's suggestion
(reproduced above -- you thought I quoted all that unnecessarily,
didn't you) in .mailcap. Again, no change in the error message. I
did notice in a subsequent strace that yes, it does appear to
actually be reading the file in question. Why isn't it absorbing
the jpeg entry, then?

I'm not sure, come to think of it, exactly what that particular mailcap line
of Alex's is supposed to change -- what behavior should I be
seeing?

Jessica