Re: Change From Automagically?

* Joshua Crawford (mortarn_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx) [040810 03:01]:
> * Christian Holtje <list.mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-08-09 16:24
> -0500]:
> G'day,

G'day!

> > Here is my setup for disposable email addresses:
> > I have a domain, docwhat.gerf.org, and it accepts all email
> > addresses.  I have procmail scripts to sort stuff based on the
> > address.  Specifically prefixes like com, list, org, net, info, etc.
> > Some example addresses:
> >  com.somebusiness
> >  list.mutt-users
> >  org.someorg
> >
> > I just discovered that the $reverse_name stuff isn't working because
> > I added a regex that includes all these disposable email addresses.
>
> Please show us your $alternates.

I have been changing it as I go along.  Right now it is:
set
alternates="(.*@docwhat\.gerf\.org|(docwhat|christian|chris|bofh|kf6vnc)@(holtje|gerf)\.(org|net))"

> >  From the FAQ:
> >   * I set $reverse_name, but it's not working!
> >     The original message (the one to which you are replying) must
> >     have been sent to an address which matches $alternates
> >     (v<=1.5.5) or alternates-cmd (v>=1.5.6).
> >
> > Why is this the case?  I find the reverse_name behaviour very very
> > useful for my disposable email address scheme.  What are the pros
> > and cons of putting an email address in alternates?
>
> One pro is that $reverse_name works. Another is that ~p and ~P work. Yet one
> more is that %F shows who you sent the mail to, instead of your own address.
> There's more, I'm sure, but that's what came immediately to mind.

Thank you for the information!  I had forgotten about these
features.  Of course, how else would mutt know who is who?
 From the manual:
   ~p  message is addressed to you (consults $alternates)
   ~P  message is from you (consults $alternates)
 From the section for index_format:
   %F  author name, or recipient name if the message is from you

I have a suggestion for the manual.  It would be nice if they were
linked front and back.  The ~p mentions alternates, but it'd be good
if it linked to alternates.  And if alternates had links to these.
Where should I send a patch or a suggestion to?

> >  What should I
> > have in there?  I accept email for a lot of addresses, because I'm
> > an admin and try to keep things separate.  Should I only have my
> > main address in there?
>
> You should have all addresses that you receive mail at. I.e.,
> set alternates='.*@docwhat\.gerf\.org'

Okay, I made that change a little bit ago.  After I implimented the
folder hook scripter thingy.

> > These are the descriptions from the manual:
> > * alternates
> >    A regexp that allows you to specify alternate addresses where you
> >    receive mail. This affects Mutt's idea about messages from you
> >    and addressed to you.
> > * reverse_name
> >    It may sometimes arrive that you receive mail to a certain
> >    machine, move the messages to another machine, and reply to some
> >    the messages from there. If this variable is set, the default
> >    From: line of the reply messages is built using the address where
> >    you received the messages you are replying to. If the variable is
> >    unset, the From: line will use your address on the current
> >    machine.
> >
> > I would like to suggest that the reverse_name description mention
> > that the email address *not* be in alternates.* as the FAQ says.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
>
> No trouble.

Thank you again!

Ciao!

--
Fact #47
  Quality is NOT: user satisfaction, meeting requirements, achieving

The Doctor What: "What, Doctor What"             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC

Checked by Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org).
Version: 3.0  / 9717 out of 12282 packages installed