Change From Automagically?

Hello Gang!

Here is my setup for disposable email addresses:
I have a domain, docwhat.gerf.org, and it accepts all email
addresses.  I have procmail scripts to sort stuff based on the
address.  Specifically prefixes like com, list, org, net, info, etc.
Some example addresses:
 com.somebusiness
 list.mutt-users
 org.someorg

I just discovered that the $reverse_name stuff isn't working because
I added a regex that includes all these disposable email addresses.

 From the FAQ:
  * I set $reverse_name, but it's not working!
    The original message (the one to which you are replying) must
    have been sent to an address which matches $alternates
    (v<=1.5.5) or alternates-cmd (v>=1.5.6).

Why is this the case?  I find the reverse_name behaviour very very
useful for my disposable email address scheme.  What are the pros
and cons of putting an email address in alternates?  What should I
have in there?  I accept email for a lot of addresses, because I'm
an admin and try to keep things separate.  Should I only have my
main address in there?

These are the descriptions from the manual:
* alternates
   A regexp that allows you to specify alternate addresses where you
   receive mail. This affects Mutt's idea about messages from you
   and addressed to you.
* reverse_name
   It may sometimes arrive that you receive mail to a certain
   machine, move the messages to another machine, and reply to some
   the messages from there. If this variable is set, the default
   From: line of the reply messages is built using the address where
   you received the messages you are replying to. If the variable is
   unset, the From: line will use your address on the current
   machine.

I would like to suggest that the reverse_name description mention
that the email address *not* be in alternates.* as the FAQ says.

Thanks for your time.

Ciao!

--
Don't remember what you can infer.
        -- Harry Tennant

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC

Checked by Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org).
Version: 3.0  / 9692 out of 12244 packages installed