Re: Change From Automagically?

* Christian Holtje <list.mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-08-09 16:24 -0500]:

> Hello Gang!

G'day,

> Here is my setup for disposable email addresses:
> I have a domain, docwhat.gerf.org, and it accepts all email
> addresses.  I have procmail scripts to sort stuff based on the
> address.  Specifically prefixes like com, list, org, net, info, etc.
> Some example addresses:
>  com.somebusiness
>  list.mutt-users
>  org.someorg
>
> I just discovered that the $reverse_name stuff isn't working because
> I added a regex that includes all these disposable email addresses.

Please show us your $alternates.

>  From the FAQ:
>   * I set $reverse_name, but it's not working!
>     The original message (the one to which you are replying) must
>     have been sent to an address which matches $alternates
>     (v<=1.5.5) or alternates-cmd (v>=1.5.6).
>
> Why is this the case?  I find the reverse_name behaviour very very
> useful for my disposable email address scheme.  What are the pros
> and cons of putting an email address in alternates?

One pro is that $reverse_name works. Another is that ~p and ~P work. Yet one
more is that %F shows who you sent the mail to, instead of your own address.
There's more, I'm sure, but that's what came immediately to mind.

>  What should I
> have in there?  I accept email for a lot of addresses, because I'm
> an admin and try to keep things separate.  Should I only have my
> main address in there?

You should have all addresses that you receive mail at. I.e.,
set alternates='.*@docwhat\.gerf\.org'

> These are the descriptions from the manual:
> * alternates
>    A regexp that allows you to specify alternate addresses where you
>    receive mail. This affects Mutt's idea about messages from you
>    and addressed to you.
> * reverse_name
>    It may sometimes arrive that you receive mail to a certain
>    machine, move the messages to another machine, and reply to some
>    the messages from there. If this variable is set, the default
>    From: line of the reply messages is built using the address where
>    you received the messages you are replying to. If the variable is
>    unset, the From: line will use your address on the current
>    machine.
>
> I would like to suggest that the reverse_name description mention
> that the email address *not* be in alternates.* as the FAQ says.
>
> Thanks for your time.

No trouble.
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn

Mary had a little RAM - only about a MEG or so.