Re: Change From Automagically?

* Christian Holtje (list.mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [040809 16:26]:
> Hello Gang!
>
> Here is my setup for disposable email addresses:
> I have a domain, docwhat.gerf.org, and it accepts all email
> addresses.  I have procmail scripts to sort stuff based on the
> address.  Specifically prefixes like com, list, org, net, info, etc.
> Some example addresses:
>  com.somebusiness
>  list.mutt-users
>  org.someorg
>
> I just discovered that the $reverse_name stuff isn't working because
> I added a regex that includes all these disposable email addresses.
>
>  From the FAQ:
>   * I set $reverse_name, but it's not working!
>     The original message (the one to which you are replying) must
>     have been sent to an address which matches $alternates
>     (v<=1.5.5) or alternates-cmd (v>=1.5.6).
>
> Why is this the case?  I find the reverse_name behaviour very very
> useful for my disposable email address scheme.  What are the pros
> and cons of putting an email address in alternates?  What should I
> have in there?  I accept email for a lot of addresses, because I'm
> an admin and try to keep things separate.  Should I only have my
> main address in there?
>
> These are the descriptions from the manual:
> * alternates
>    A regexp that allows you to specify alternate addresses where you
>    receive mail. This affects Mutt's idea about messages from you
>    and addressed to you.
> * reverse_name
>    It may sometimes arrive that you receive mail to a certain
>    machine, move the messages to another machine, and reply to some
>    the messages from there. If this variable is set, the default
>    From: line of the reply messages is built using the address where
>    you received the messages you are replying to. If the variable is
>    unset, the From: line will use your address on the current
>    machine.
>
> I would like to suggest that the reverse_name description mention
> that the email address *not* be in alternates.* as the FAQ says.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Hmmmm..... I actually discovered that this does *not* work for most
of my mailing lists now days!  For example, this mailing list
doesn't set the To: to be my list.mutt-users@... address, so the
reverse_name never reverses it!  This must be why this behaviour has
always been broken in some mailing lists and such.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this?  A procmail recipe or a fix
for mutt itself?  In procmail I have the actual address that
recieved it, but how could mutt be made to know to set the from?

I cannot quick think of what the hook would have to look like to
look for something like a header in the letter being replied to...
Something like
that a hook could turn into the From header...

Thanks again!

Ciao!

--
I believe there are
15,747,724,136,275,002,577,605,653,961,181,555,468,044,717,914,527,116,709,366,231,425,076,185,631,031,296

The Doctor What: Second Baseman                  http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC

Checked by Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org).
Version: 3.0  / 9692 out of 12244 packages installed