Re: Security issue / bad UI design in mutt CVS (encryption options)

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:17:46AM -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
| On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:04:49AM +0200 or thereabouts, Magnus Therning
wrote:
| > I have to say I agree 100% percent with Derek. The menu should be made
| > clearer. Thinking back I found out about the new behaviour by mistake, I
| > was *lucky* to notice that the buttons now toggled rather than just
| > turning it on. I would be in favour of having the following menu
| > (almost straight copy from below, (c)lear rather then (f)orget):
|
| Actually, I found it rather intutitive and I recently learned how to use GPG
with
| mutt. I don't know how hard it is really to figure out that it's toggable, if
| you have the e-mail in front of you displaying the GPG encrytion header.

I don't see why asking mutt to do the same thing repeatedly would act
as a toggle.  I think the only key that does this now it tag.  If I
press s twice, does it unsave the mail?  Crypto is hard enough without
asking people to realize there are toggles on security.

Alternately, if you want this to happen, indicate it's happening by
changing the menu to read
e) don't encrypt s)ign ...etc.

| So, I would ask the developers NOT to change this behaviour. It's prefectly
| acceptable as is IMHO. This is hardly a security issue in my view!

Ever read Why Johhny Can't Encrypt?

Adam