Re: Editor Wars! (was Re: Jed interaction)

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 05:51:35PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:

> I've looked long and hard at jed, and I think it's definitely on the
> short list of Real Editors.
>
> Its embedded language isn't lisp or a dialect of it, it's
> s-lang. s-lang isn't lispy, so for the kinds of hairy
> programming-in-the-large where you end up doing layer upon layer
> of defining new languages to make it easier to solve your problem,
> s-lang doesn't compete. But for an editor extension/implementation
> language it appears to be powerful enough, at least for the more
> basic tasks, and jed has taken it further than any other editor I
> know of other than GNU Emacs and it's evil twin xemacs. And it's
> got the footprint and launch speed you expect from the smaller,
> non-extensible editors. It's got a lot of punch for the resources it
> requires.

My 'way to go' is [x]vile, an editor based on an emacs engine but with
familiar (to me) vi keystrokes to drive it.  It uses perl as its
extension language.  It also has an 'emacsclient' equivalent which is
vital for me at work.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)