Re: charset question

also sprach David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[2004.07.19.1029 +0200]:
> My bad, you're right.  I _always_ send MIME because I always sign
> my mail (and never use traditional_pgp in lists).  I kinda forgot

Well, in addition, mutt seems to always use MIME anyway.

> about that.  I guess I'll just try to duck out of this
> conversation before too many tomatoes get tossed my way.

no worries.

> BTW - Just out of curiosity, why do you bother setting the long chain
> in send_charset, if you've moved to Unicode?  Unicode has one purpose in
> life: to replace the old ISO-8859 set of mutually-incompatible standards
> with a new self-consistent one.

I agree. Nevertheless, I also make up about 0.01% of the users with
Unicode capable mailers. I have not verified that, but I get
unlimited number of complaints from Windows users about them not
being able to see anything but boxes for my special characters.
Thus, I would like to use unicode only when really necessary.

> basically guaranteeing that Unicode's mission is never accomplished,
> since systems will still need support for the legacy ISO-8859 standards.

True. So now I changed it to use UTF-8 for everything but my
business mail. I just don't feel like advocacy with clients...

> might as well get used to it.)  As the comment in my RC file indicates,
> the only reason I have us-ascii in there at all is that any UTF system
> can read us-ascii by necessity, and if the message can be interpreted
> by a standard 7-bit system too, I might as well mark it as such so
> non-Unicode systems know they can also read it (rather than fooling
> them into thinking they can't).

Good point.

> Please visit this link:
> http://rotter.net/israel

Would you please consider taking this link out of your email?
I don't want to bother the list with a discussion, so if you want to
reply, do so in private. However, the information on the site you
are linking to is so unbelieveable biased that I find it a sin to
support it. No, I don't think Palestina is innocent and Israel is
the bad player. But it's certainly not the other way around either.

Cheers,

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

"those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love:
 it is the faithless who know love's tragedies."
                                                        -- oscar wilde