Re: charset question

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:07:42AM EDT, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> [2004.07.19.1029 +0200]:

> > My bad, you're right.  I _always_ send MIME because I always sign
> > my mail (and never use traditional_pgp in lists).  I kinda forgot
>
> Well, in addition, mutt seems to always use MIME anyway.

Okay, then my point was right, even though I used an invalid example to
try and illustrate it.  That makes me feel good :-)

> > basically guaranteeing that Unicode's mission is never accomplished,
> > since systems will still need support for the legacy ISO-8859 standards.
>
> True. So now I changed it to use UTF-8 for everything but my
> business mail. I just don't feel like advocacy with clients...

That's wise, IMHO.  I'm lucky to be a programmer, so clients who are
put directly in touch with me already expect me to be a geek, so nobody
complains too much ;-)

> > Please visit this link:
> > http://rotter.net/israel
>
> Would you please consider taking this link out of your email?
> I don't want to bother the list with a discussion, so if you want to
> reply, do so in private. However, the information on the site you
> are linking to is so unbelieveable biased that I find it a sin to
> support it. No, I don't think Palestina is innocent and Israel is
> the bad player. But it's certainly not the other way around either.

Yeah, that link makes no attempt to be unbiased.  It's simply my friend
telling the world how annoyed he is at the world for trying to force our
country to make peace with a bunch of convicted terrorists.  If you're
looking for a less biased media source, consider HonestReporting.com.
If you wanna chat privately, feel free to buzz me.  I post from a valid
email address, read my email regularly, and always respond to my email
unless a response is specifically "unrequested."

Just to repeat, that link is the emotional response to seeing your family
and friends murdered by terrorists whom you associate with Arafat and
his PA, not an "unbiased" news source.  To what extent that connection
is actually valid is up to "unbiased" media to determine.  However,
you can't expect people not to have an emotional response when they see
terrorism go UP as a "peace" process progresses.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel