colours and quotes and regex libs? (was: Re: colours and quotes)

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:33:49PM EDT, steVe wrote:
> so spake Andre Lerche [2004.05.27 @ 14:07]:
> > On Thu, 27.05.2004 at 08:36 PM, Nicolaus Kedegren wrote:
> > > * Andre Lerche <a.lerche@xxxxxxx> [2004-05-27 20:00] wrote:

> color body color2 default " >"
> color body color1 default "^>"
>
> note, you better do color2 before color1. :)

Note that this will only work for the 1.4.x series.  In other words,
Andre, you're out of luck.  The 1.5.x series will only color whole lines.
If you want to color on a finer grain, you need to set allow_ansi and use
a displayfilter that colors the right stuff.  Mine [1] does just that,
and you can easily add a rule to color quotes.

> if we had lookbehind you could explicitly put in something like

> color body color3 default "(?<=^> > )>"
> color body color2 default "(?<=^> )>"
> color body color1 default "^>"
>
> and so on.
>
> this should also be pretty trivial to hack up in the mutt source if
> you're that hard up for it.  maybe link to another regex library that
> supports it. ;)

Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried linking to pcre instead?

 - Dave

[1]
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/mutt/muttdir/displayfilter
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/mutt/muttdir/displayfilterlist