Re: Mailqueue mailfolder

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:59:38PM EST, Jens Paulus wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:24:51 -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:

> > > for people who are not always connected to an ISP it would be practical
> > > to have a special mailfolder for queued outgoing mail like many GUI mail
> > > programs have it.
> >
> > The outgoing queue is managed by your MTA.  There's no need for an MUA to
> > have
> > one.  GUI MUAs tend to inherit this idea from poorer OSes which don't tend
> > even /have/ an MTA on the system, so they have to each implement a
> > half-assed
> > version -- mutt definitely has no need to imitate this design error.
>
> that the outgoing queue is managed by my MTA is not new to me and I know
> this and have described this in text. So your reply is no help on this
> topic. Nevertheless I think it would be practical if postponed messages
> could be send without reediting it before. This would have the same
> effect than having a mailqueue mailfolder and would be an easy solution.

You seem to be missing the point that overloading a folder is BAD.
If there's a command to send a postponed message without editing it
(which is a most UNtypical action for an MUA (as opposed to an MTA),
since the only reason for a USER to postpone a message is if he hasn't
finished it, and he sure doesn't want to ship off a half-written message
by mistake!) and you decide to implement a mail sending thingy that takes
advantage of this "feature," what happens when the guy uses his postponed
folder for its legitimate purpose, leaves his half-written message in
there, and decides to do a queue run on his "outbox" (a.k.a. postponed
folder)?  It's important to always keep in mind the difference between
an MUA and an MTA.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel