Re: Mailqueue mailfolder

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:11:34PM EST, Jens Paulus wrote:

> for people who are not always connected to an ISP it would be practical
> to have a special mailfolder for queued outgoing mail like many GUI mail
> programs have it. Normally, for example when using mutt with sendmail,
> outgoing mail is queued in the /var tree and at this point only the root
> superuser has still access to it in case the send should be aborted and
> the outgoing mail deleted or changed.

You can run your own sendmail (or qmail, or whatever) installation,
owned by you, with a spool tree under your own $HOME, if you want.

> To allow the control over queued
> mail I thought it would be fine to have a mailqueue mailfolder and when
> connected to the ISP sending all its content with a single keystroke.

With an MTA like sendmail, that's easy to setup without a single
keystroke.  You can have sendmail automatically do a queue run every
time it notices you've connected to the Internet.  Alternatively, if
you're rarely offline for more than a few hours at a time, the default
sendmail config will try to send your mail every 15 minutes for a few
hours before starting to give up hope.

However, if you must do this from within Mutt, it's fairly trivial to
write a $sendmail script that'll simply append messages to =outbox or
whatever, and then write a little macro to pipe each message in =outbox
to the real sendmail, at which point it'd go under the control of the
MTA anyway, so I fail to see what you'd gain.

> thought that maybe the postponed folder could be turned into a mailqueue
> folder but then mail cannot be postponed anymore and there is no command
> to send postponed mail without reediting it.

Ewww ... please don't try to overload the postponed folder. . .

> So, I am just curious if
> there would be a way to do this.

Yes, there _is_ a way (and a rather trivial one too, as I noted above),
but as Charles Cazabon pointed out, it's really not necessary in the land
of UNIX, and as I pointed out, it doesn't really even buy you anything
you don't already have an easy way of obtaining.

HTH,
 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel