Re: Multiple Recipient Confusion

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:28:06PM -0600, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
[...]
}   alias update_group <mom@xxxxxxxx>,<dad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<brother@xxxxxx>
}
} But, if I put 30 address on there, and keep it current, it seem to me
} that would turn into a mess of commas and brackets.
[...]
}   alias update_group /home/greg/.mutt/update_aliases
}
} And then that update_aliases would be a standard "stacked" list, easy to
} see, understand, organize and maintain.
}
} Or, have I completely missed the boat here?
[...]

It's easy enough to make this work, assuming I understand what a
"stacked" list is. I'm assuming you mean just a list of addresses, one
per line, in a file. In that case, try this:

source "echo alias upd \\\\; tr '\012' ',' < $HOME/.mutt/upd|"

Conveniently, mutt doesn't actually care about the brackets or trailing
commas. To make it fit on one line I made both the list filename and the
alias name "upd" but you can change that as you see fit. Of course, the
following may be just as reasonable for your purposes:

alias upd \
        mom@xxxxxxxx, \
        dad@xxxxxxxxxxxx, \
        brother@xxxxxx