Re: mutt, IMAP and ssh

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 05:51:01AM EST, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
> a hint from a posting on this mailing list (I don't remember who wrote
> that):
>
> * On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:21:39AM +0000 Chris Green wrote:
>
> > So, what wierd incantations do I need to get a connection from mutt to
> > the remote IMAP server using ssh?  The IMAP daemon on the remote
> > system is /usr/bin/imapd.
>
> set tunnel="ssh -q HOST /usr/sbin/imapd"

BTW - If you're going to use IMAP with Mutt, I strongly recommend using
my imapproxy [1] tunnel, as it will keep you from losing your connection
if you suspend Mutt for too long (which can be as little as 15 minutes,
depending on how far along Mutt's timer is when you suspend it), say
while you're in your editor composing an email and get sidetracked by
something, or if you suspend Mutt for some reason, etc.

 - Dave

[1]
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/imapproxy.tgz
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/imapproxy/