Default charset for text/plain content-type

Hi,

Is there is any way to specify a default charset for text/plain messages?

To be more verbose, my problem is that I receive messages coded in the
iso-8859-1 charset, but they don't say so in the content-type header, so
mutt interprets them as us-ascii. I would like to change that behavior
so that mutt interprets all messages as iso-8859-1 (unless the charset
is specified in the content-type header).

I found a thread in this mailing list archives discussing that same
problem, and the solution was to use "charset-hook "" iso-8859-1"; I
tried that, but now, _all_ messages are recognized as iso-8859-1, even
the ones that correctly identify themselves as utf-8, making them appear
with strange characters instead of accents.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks for your help.

Note: please keep me cc'ed, as I'm not suscribed to this mailing list,
and excuse my english, it's not my primary language.

--
Jeffrey Esquivel

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once
you learn your answers you can never unlearn them."
                                     --Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"