Opening MH mailboxes

I've been using mutt for a while, and I'm generally quite satisfied
with its performance and robustness.  One area that troubles me,
though, is the speed of opening MH mailboxes with hundreds (or over a
thousand) messages.  I realize that mutt has to re-read the messages
to get the header info, but it also seems to be doing some in-memory
caching.  At least, that's how it appears, since it's generally faster
to re-open a mailbox that I've opened within the same session.

Is there anything further mutt or I could do to improve this (aside
from switching to mbox or some other format)?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------