.configure parameters, was: I DON'T have new mail

* Todd <Freedom_Lover@xxxxxxxxx> [01-22-04 11:51]:
> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Todd <Freedom_Lover@xxxxxxxxx> [01-22-04 11:16]:

> >> Shouldn't that be config.status?  That file states at the top:
> >
> > It also exists in config.status, but is much more difficult to see
> > since it is down in the file rather than at the top.  config.log is
> > IMNSHO the better option of the two.
>
> Are we looking at different files or am I totally misunderstanding
> what the OP was looking for?  (Either is certainly possible.)  Now I'm
> mostly just curious since I might be able to learn some new tricks for
> building software here.
>
> I don't see how I could even get the options I passed to configure out
> of the config.log I have from my last build of 1.5.5.1.  Whereas in
> config.status, the full command I passed to configure is listed right
> at the top of the file, just 7 lines from the top.  The purpose of
> config.status is stated in that file as "Run this file to recreate the
> current configuration" which seems to be exactly what the OP wanted to
> do.

I do not understand what the difference is unless it's the system.  I
am running SUSE 9.0 and I find the ./configure parameters previously
used in the 7th line of the config.log.  I also find it in the
config.status file but have to search for it as it is not near the top
of the file.  I also believe that using the config.status file is to
generate another identical config of the same issue.  I don't believe
that you could use it for 1.5.5.2 or 1.5.6.

     cat config.log:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by configure, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.57.  Invocation command line was

$ ./configure --enable-pop --enable-imap --with-sasl2

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = wahoo
uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.4.21-144-default
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 Fri Nov 14 00:01:36 UTC 2003

     cat config.status
[snip ... to line 301]
Report bugs to <bug-autoconf@xxxxxxx>."
ac_cs_version="\
config.status
configured by ./configure, generated by GNU Autoconf 2.57,
  with options \"'--enable-pop' '--enable-imap' '--with-sasl2'\"

Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This config.status script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it."
srcdir=.
INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -c"

???