Re: selecting : white spaces at then end of body lines

BTW - There's no real need to CC me.  I'm subscribed to the list ;-P

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 04:06:36PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > > It's because of the way xterm (and similar programs) store the text which
> > > can be selected.  If you setup screen to use the back-color-erase (bce)
> > > configuration, the problem goes away.
> >
> > Um, I don't know.  My GNU Screen config is pretty standard, and when I use
> > "$" within the copy mode, it goes to the end of the printed line, rather
> > than some distance past the last character.  I don't recall anything
> > about back-color-erase.  (My GNU Screen is installed from source with
> > very little customization, not some prepackaged distro.)
>
> There's a few variables to establish: which terminal emulator,

uh, /dev/pts/30 :-)

> which $TERM

$ echo $TERM
screen

If I do the same outside of Screen, I get linux.

> (and corresponding terminal description) and which library mutt is linked
> with.

$ ldd `which screen` | grep curse
        libncursesw.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5 (0x40035000)

> xterm & ncurses I know firsthand - I recall that rxvt behaves similarly to
> xterm, and that slang tends to use erase-to-end-of-line more frequently
> than ncurses.

At one point, I was running a SLang version of Mutt, but I've now pretty
much standardized everything on curses.  (UTF on SLang doesn't seem to
work very well.)

> With xterm, erases will clear the flag that says a cell is initialized.
> Uninitialized cells aren't selected.  Blanks (and tabs) are selected.

Hmm ... interesting. . .

> Terminals that are setup to optimize for back color erase will use erases
> more frequently since they can assume the colors don't have to be reset
> after an erase - making that a cheaper optimization.

Oh, so the assumption is that the Linux console is optimized for back
color erase, I take it?

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel