Re: selecting : white spaces at then end of body lines

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > It's because of the way xterm (and similar programs) store the text which
> > can be selected.  If you setup screen to use the back-color-erase (bce)
> > configuration, the problem goes away.
>
> Um, I don't know.  My GNU Screen config is pretty standard, and when I use
> "$" within the copy mode, it goes to the end of the printed line, rather
> than some distance past the last character.  I don't recall anything
> about back-color-erase.  (My GNU Screen is installed from source with
> very little customization, not some prepackaged distro.)

There's a few variables to establish: which terminal emulator, which $TERM
(and corresponding terminal description) and which library mutt is linked
with.

xterm & ncurses I know firsthand - I recall that rxvt behaves similarly to
xterm, and that slang tends to use erase-to-end-of-line more frequently
than ncurses.

With xterm, erases will clear the flag that says a cell is initialized.
Uninitialized cells aren't selected.  Blanks (and tabs) are selected.

Terminals that are setup to optimize for back color erase will use erases
more frequently since they can assume the colors don't have to be reset
after an erase - making that a cheaper optimization.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net