S/MIME signatures throw errors when reading messages

A certain co-worker of mine has taking to signing his messages, no problem with that, but here is the header spec:

Invoking OpenSSL...Error: unable to create OpenSSL subprocess!
no certtfile

[-- Warning: We can't verify application/pkcs7-signature signatures. --]

[-- The following data is signed --]

Text ....

Now it seems to me that *I* shouldn't be obligated to install / configure SSL to accommodate this one signature and that if left unconfigured I should not have to deal with the STDOUT stall, but that the warning at the top of the message should be sufficient so, first of all is there a way to, as a workaround, silence this annoying chatter?

Alternatively, is there a way to address this error The Right Way? I looked things up in The Oracle and I didn't see a magic bullet.

Thanks,

Steven