Re: indication of multiple mutt sessions?

On Saturday 13 Dec 2003 01:22, Ken Weingold wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, but changing the prompt won't help me.  The
> only way I would need to see this is in mutt itself, as in its status
> bar.  Often I will start another mutt session through mutt as
> '!mutt'.

Then my second suggestion might be feasible...?  Even though the ``Mutt
count'' is not displayed constantly.  To achieve that, you might

set status_format="-%r-`ps ax | grep mutt | wc -l | awk '{ print $0 - 2
}'` %f [Msgs:%?M?%M/?%m%?n? New:%n?%?o? Old:%o?%?d?Del:%d?%?F?
Flag:%F?%?t? Tag:%t?%?p? Post:%p?%?b?
Inc:%b?%?l?%l?]---(%s/%S)-%>-(%P)---"

in your ``.muttrc''.  This makes Mutt show you the number of processes
which have ``mutt'' in their names according to the ``ps'' utility.
But beware that this is static: if you start more Mutts, or kill some,
then it won't be updated (at least, I don't think so).  To achieve
_that_ (we're pretty deep in the rabbit hole now), you might try
mucking around in the source code to make Mutt keep a constant count;
or you could get hold of your favorite hacker and persuade him/her to
do it (with chocolate chip cookies in hand :-).

HTH,
Yawar Amin