Re: indication of multiple mutt sessions?

On Friday 12 Dec 2003 09:04, Ken Weingold wrote:
> Is there any way to show maybe in the status bar that this particular
> session is not the original?  Basically sometimes I start another for

Hi,

Do you use job control to start multiple Mutt sessions?  As in, C-z to
suspend the first Mutt, do something else for a while, then start up
Mutt again from the same command line?  Because if so, I can think of
one (slightly oblique) way to keep track: set your shell prompt to
display the number of jobs currently running, with the ``\j'' escape.
My Bash prompt is set with

export PS1='\u@[\j]$ '

in my ``.bashrc'', and the prompt shows

yawar@[n]$

where ``n'' is the number of jobs running.  The square brackets, ``$''
and ``@'' sign are arbitrarily chosen by me, of course.

This basically just gives you a heads-up; it doesn't actually tell you
that any of the jobs are Mutt.

Another way might be to create a macro/keybinding in Mutt that executes
an external command like

ps ax | grep mutt | wc -l | awk '{ print $0 - 1 }'

You have to have ``ps'', ``grep'', ``wc'', and ``awk'' on your system
for this to work.  It just displays the number of processes that have
the word ``mutt'' in them.

HTH,
Yawar Amin