[OT] Bill's Charsets (was: Re: Macintosh charset)

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:29:43AM +1030, David Purton wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:00:43PM +0100, Martin Trautmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > is there any support for the Macintosh charset within mutt?
>
> ARRGGH I would also like a solution to this problem - but I think it
> is not with mutt (mutt + iconv + utf-8 is seriously good). As far as I
> can tell, the various mac charsets given on apple's website and those
> dealt with by iconv, bear no relation to the complete garbage
> delivered by Microsoft Entourage. Not only does Entourage claim to to
> be using iso-8859-1, which it isn't, but whatever charset it is using
> is not handled by any of the charsets in iconv. I know - because I
> tried every single one of them on a message to try and figure it
> out...
>
> I've also search the web to try and find what charset it uses - but
> nothing comes up - it's really strange.

Clearly, Microsoft Entourage doesn't produce Mac charsets; it produces
some sort of MS charset which may've been based on a Mac charset back in
the old days.  (We'll know for sure when we see whether there's a kernel
of good in this funny charset or not ... I'll defer to the iconv people
for word on that. . .)

In other words, your post has gone off-topic ;-P

 - Dave [quite pleased with himself, obviously]

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel