Re: Macintosh charset

On Fri 2003-12-05 (08:52), David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:00:43PM +0100, Martin Trautmann wrote:
>
> > is there any support for the Macintosh charset within mutt?
>
> AFAIK, Mutt uses the iconv library to make stuff viewable.  In other
> words, if your libiconv (or libc, if you're using its iconv) supports
> it, Mutt supports it.  You may need to make some charset hooks, though,
> to get Mutt to recognize nonstandard charset names in emails.

Ah, thanks. I'm no expert to find what's within the current libiconv. It
links to libiconv.so.2 and names current=3, age=1, revision=0.

>From http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/ I see a
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.9.1.tar.gz, dated
2003-05-27, while the local iconv -l tells about

MAC MACINTOSH MACROMAN CSMACINTOSH
MACCENTRALEUROPE
MACICELAND
MACCROATIAN
MACROMANIA
MACCYRILLIC

iconv (GNU libiconv 1.9)

Thus I feel the conversion would be here. I guess that I don't
have to add to charset.c
  { "mac",  "macintosh"    },
  { "macroman",  "macintosh"    },
  { "csmacintosh",  "macintosh"    },

since this is known to iconv itself? Ok, learned something about
"I CONVert", where I expected this would be something for "ICON V..."

I'll give it a try, add some charset lines to  headers,
looking at the message body of some formatted message...

... wow, thanks, this seems to work just perfectly.
(see samples in latin and mac charsets).

Best regards
Martin
This is a sample text,

using Umlaute in ISO-Latin-1: