Re: Courier-imapd imap folders and new mail notification

On Thu, Nov 27 2003 at 05:49:37AM BRST, "Andrei A. Voropaev" <avorop@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:55:19PM -0200, Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >         Another strange thing is that if I visit an imap folder (the one for
> > which mutt correctly warns me of new mail) and leave the (new) messages
> > there intact, mutt no longer reports new messages in that folder, until a
> > new one arrives (contrary to what happens in "regular", local folders).
> [...]
>
> I'm afraid you are wrong here. At least for me and my "mboxes" it works
> exactly the same way. Once I've visited the folder, mutt will never
> report new messages in it untill new message really comes. I believe
> this is because mutt is checking access-time and modification-time of
> the file and not actual presence of "unread" messages. For maildir
> structures this might be different since there unread messages are
> stored in special directory so mutt can always see them.

        I use Maildir and if I visit a folder, don't touch new messages (or
even if I read them and then mark them as new again) and leave, mutt reports
new messages there. Actually, this is one of the reasons that convinced me
to move to Maildir in the first place :)

        BTW, it seems that I've made that mistake once again: I insert a
minor comment in a message containing a bigger problem, the minor comments
gets answered and the bigger problem is ignored :p

        (Courier-imapd + mutt) still don't report any new messages
whatsoever.

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <rbp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>

I was a grim reaper until I started taking antidepressants.
I still reap, because I like the work, but I'm not grim.
          -- http://www.dilbert.com (20/12/2002)