Re: WOT: "Correct" English

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:29:38AM +0000, Stewart V. Wright wrote:

> G'day David,
>
> Just stirring the pot some more...  :-)

Here, lemme give you a hand :-)

> > I can't seem to find our American Oxford Dictionary, so I can't really
>
> Doesn't that prove my point?  "American" Oxford Dictionary, rather
> than Oxford Dictionary.  I've got an Australian English dictionary,
> and Oxford even sells an "Australian Oxford Dictionary" -- Woo hoo!

Oh, Oxford has an Australian version too?  How neat. . .

> Aside: Bet it's full of words like bonza, grouse and "as snagged as a
> wombat's tonker"...  :-)

I wonder what _that_ might mean. . .

> > follow up authoritatively (since Webster doesn't even claim to be
> > authoritative, as we all know - it's always important to read the fine
> > print in America, after all).
>
> Damn, can't we sue someone about having to read the small print?
> (Similar to the guy who sued McDonald's for making him fat!)

Well, here in America the rule is simple: hire a lawyer and you can sue
anybody for anything; hire a fat enough law firm, and you can probably
even persuade the suee to settle.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel