Re: OT: Checking S/MIME signatures

I realized too late that I had pressed the "r" key instead of "L"
whence the reply didn't go to the list. Sorry.

Christoph
--
http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/cludwig.html
LiDIA: http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/LiDIA/Welcome.html

--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:24:00PM +0100, Jacek Wojaczynski wrote:
> Hi! When checking some signed mail, I get the following error:
>
> Verification failure
> 15999:error:21071065:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_signatureVerify:digest
> +failure:pk7_doit.c:808:
> 15999:error:21075069:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:signature
> +failure:pk7_smime.c:256:
>
> Anyone knows what's wrong?

Do you get this error when verifying a specific message's signature
only or everytime you try to verify any message? Do you see anything unusual
if you look at the senders certificate?

Can you verify the signature if you call "openssl smime" from the
command line? (If you use the mbox format and you save the message in
a seperate file then you probably need to delete the first line of the
file before you can use it as input to openssl. openssl does not like
the mbox specific "From" line.)

Regards

Christoph

PS: I am going to sign this posting. You probably don't have our root
    CA's public key installed whence the verification will fail. But
    at least you should see an error message like "unable to get local
    issuer certificate".