any documentation for S/MIME setup for mutt? (Re: OT: Checking S/MIME signatures)

> PS: I am going to sign this posting. You probably don't have our root
>     CA's public key installed whence the verification will fail. But
>     at least you should see an error message like "unable to get local
>     issuer certificate".

no, actually i get

Verification failure
16485:error:21075075:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:certificate verify
error:pk7_smime.c:222:Verify error:self signed certificate in certificate chain

i get this with other S/MIME mails, too.

does anybody know about any documentation of how to set this up, i mean
the whole S/MIME stuff for mutt?

in march this year i somehow managed to set it up to a point where i
could verify an S/MIME signature, mostly by following the error
messages.
in march, mutt's S/MIME support was quite new when it appeared in debian
packages.
AFAIR the manual.txt didn't even explain the variables then...
this has changed, but i still miss any HOWTO guide how to set things up
initially and how to manage the setup later.
any pointers?

rj