Re: Sender header

Quoting Steve Allen (kru_tch@xxxxxxxx):

> New mutt configuraton along with Exim as my MTA.
> I have an issue with the 'Sender' header that goes out, listing my
> hostname as an e-mail address.

I haven't checked your headers, but it could well be that some mailers
or mailinglist tools won't accept your mail because the address you used
to send mail from does not have MX'es so the mail can't be routed back.

> Is this set by mutt or Exim? I tried setting the 'set envelope_from',
> but I guess that hasn't anything to do with the 'Sender' header.

It's both mutt and exim that come in to play here. You have to set
envelope_from in mutt, and next you have to tell exim that your user is
allowed to set a different envelope from header.

By default Exim disallows that, because it can be used to forge senders
and do other evil things, but if you trust yourself, and your other
personalities :) you can specify your username in the 'trusted_users'
setting in exim.conf: trusted_users = user1:user2:user3.

After doing that, exim will allow you to set your own envelope from.
(And do other things you normally coudln't, check exim.org docs on the
trusted_users setting for more information).

Sander.