"<collapse-thread><next-unread><collapse-thread>"

So each mailbox I enter, everything is collapsed.
When I hit tab, it will collapse the current thread, go to the next
unread, and uncollapse it.

This works great.
Now it I hit CTRL_D to delete the entire thread, Mutt moves me to the
next unread thread.  But it will not uncollapse it.
So I thought I could remap CTRL_D to delete the thread and basically
execute my existing tab button.
I had tried both of these and neither work:
   macro index \cD   "<delete-thread><tab>"
   macro index \cD   "<delete-thread>exec<tab>"

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Dave