Re: SpamCop

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:16:41PM -0400, Todd wrote:

> I use SpamAssassin and Vipul's Razor.  I completely avoid SpamCop as
> their practices are incredibly brain-dead.  They will happily blacklist
> an entire class c network if on of the IP's on it sends spam.

No, they won't.  If all addresses on a given /24 were transmitting
sufficient Unsolicited Bulk Email to get each one listed then that
*could* happen, but that is exceedingly unlikely.

Please see:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/297.html

You may be getting confused between SpamCop and SPEWS:

http://spews.org/

SPEWS *do* have a policy of eventual escalation, as explained at:

http://spews.org/faq.html

However, in order for an entire /24 to be listed at Level 1 (the level
at which most mail administrators using SPEWS block, as opposed to
tagging, incoming mail), the ISP or network administator concerned has
to have a record of ignoring an extremely large number of complaints,
for some considerable time.

If anyone ever states to you that their entire /24 has been blocklisted
by SPEWS as a result of a handful of complaints about one IP address,
they are lying, frankly.

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx