Re: SpamCop

Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> Does anyone here use spamcop or any other service to deal with spam?
> I'm using spamassassin to filter the messages (and run a script about
> once a week to feed the bayesian filter), and once a day, I enter the
> spam folder, tag all new messages (checking if they are actually spam),
> and then forward them all to spamcop.

I use SpamAssassin and Vipul's Razor.  I completely avoid SpamCop as
their practices are incredibly brain-dead.  They will happily blacklist
an entire class c network if on of the IP's on it sends spam.  This is
*way* to broad a blacklist to be useful.  Their maintainers are also
quite rude and arrogant in responding to the stupidity of their
policies.

Here's a short article on SpamCop blacklisting Declan McCullagh's
Politech mailing list, (which has never sent a single spam and likely
never will):

    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04121.html

I have a small server that's was blacklisted like this as well, which
came as a bit of a surprise.  I didn't even waste time talking with
the spamcop folks about it.  I figure that anyone using their service
should expect to lose plenty of legitimate mail and if so, that's
their problem, not mine.

More positively, submitting stuff to Vipul's Razor is pretty easy (and
using Pyzor or DCC would be just as simple).  I tag all messages in my
spam folder that match "! ~h RAZOR2" and then run a macro which pipes
the messages out to spamassassin:

macro index S "<enter-command>set pipe_split\n<pipe-entry>spamassassin
-r\n<enter-command>unset pipe_split\n" "report message(s) to Vipul's Razor"

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -- Mae West