Re: New marking for Inbox

* Oct 09 16:48 Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx>:

[...]

> I think I've discovered why one's inbox would be shown as only
> containing "old" messages, while every other box shows new ones
> properly.  If you start up mutt _without_ the -y switch, its first
> state is to be looking at the index of your inbox.  Once you leave the
> inbox, for instance by going to the folder list and then the mailboxes
> list, all the "new" messages in your inbox become "old" messages.
>
> So, even though the messages are still unread, the %N flag in the
> browser line comes back empty.  If you do it like me, and push
> "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>" at startup, then you may not have
> even humanly seen the headers of your inbox before they are marked as
> "old".
>
> All the more reason to implement flags and/or numeric reports on other
> types of messages.  I started a thread about this on the mutt-dev list
> a little while ago.  If I can code up a good solution, I will post the
> patch there.
>
> Until then, what's the best suggestion for not clobbering the
> "new"-ness of the inbox?  Just startup using -y if you like the
> mailboxes view?

The problem you have discovered is known. It has to do with the fact
that Mutt doesn't "close" the mailbox that you last viewed when doing
"<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>".

I mentioned the problem for Elkins about a year ago and he promised to
put a close-mbox command on his TODO, but nothing has been done about it
yet. Thus a patch for this would be very welcome.

The kludge I use to prevent this is to open a mailbox that I don't
recieve new mail in (i.e. postponed mails) before I go to the mailbox

    macro index ,vm "<change-folder>=postponed<enter><change-folder>?\t" "view
mailboxes"

--
Johan Svedberg, johan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://johan.svedberg.pp.se/