Re: How is the FROM field used?

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:07:23PM -0700, mindfuq@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When I compose a message in Mutt, and it passes my message on to my
> MTA (sendmail), what happens with the contents of the FROM field?  I
> thought that it was inserted into the smtp MAIL FROM command, but
> someone on another list said this is not the case.
>
> If not, what actually is sent through the MAIL FROM command?

There's an option in mutt that allows to use your FROM field as MAIL
FROM inside sendmail. Add set envelope_from=yes to your muttrc to get
this behaviour. RTFM for details.

Normally FROM MAIL is set by sendmail (or whatever MTA you use) based on
your username and domain/host name. Or based on whatever you configure
for it.

> Also, is this allowed to be null, because it seems mutt won't let me
> send a null FROM field.

AFAIK mutt allows you to send with empty From:. But sendmail may not
allow it (again depends on configuration of sendmail). In my case I
configured it to put some default value if From: field was empty. BUT.
This hit me on different side. When resending previously sent mail mutt
substituted empty From with my username@mydomain combination, which was
totally wrong :) So I had to revert to ALWAYS specifying From field.
That's easy to do using 'send-hook' and using 'from'.

Andrei