Re: Bouncing a PGP-encrypted message

Steve --

...and then Steve Talley said...
%
% Is it possible to decrypt a PGP-encrypted message before bouncing?

Of course.

% Since the original message was encrypted using my public key, it is
% useless to bounce to anyone but myself.

Agreed.

%
% Something akin to $pipe_decode, but for bouncing.  $bounce_decode,
% perhaps?

If (and that's a very big if) I were going to do this, I'd save-decode
the message to a temporary mailbox or my current one, bounce it from
there, and then delete it.

%
% I know I can forward the decoded message, but in this case I'd much
% prefer to bounce.

Why send on in a way appearing to come from the original sender something
which the original sender did no send?  In this case I should think it is
quite sensible to forward or fake a reply in order to get the message
contents off to a third party.

I suppose one might make the case for sending encrypted mail for such
routine matters as office supply requisitions or the like that end up
going to the wrong person (you) and which you want to direct over to the
right person in a form that s/he can read, but the right answer is to
have the original party send to the proper person the first time anyway.

I should probably get off of my soapbox now :-)

%
% Thanks,
%
% Steve