Re: status_format question

* On 2003.09.24, in <20030924174948.GA6075@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Marc Adler" <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Maciej Kalisiak <mac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003-09-24 07:46]:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:22:30AM -0400, David T-G wrote:
> > > I don't see anything wrong with it; I think that simply nobody has an
> > > answer for you.  I know that I don't.  Well, there's always widening your
> > > window :-/
> >
> > I've been eagerly lurking, waiting to an answer to the OP, but I'm
> > fairly convinced there just is no solution.  I've had a similar query a
> > while back (abbreviating folder/mailbox names in mailbox listing) and
> > likewise had no responses.  Oh well, here's hoping to me being wrong. :)
>
> Ok, let's rephrase it like this, then.
>
> Is it possible to use regexes in the status_format setting string? (Or
> any other settings?)

It's not possible to make a regex in a format string perform any
modifications to the way the format string evaluates. Anything in a
format string that is not part of a %... construction is a literal
evaluation. No %... constructions use regular expressions, that I'm
aware of.

Obviously regexes can be used in settings, but I don't think there's any
way to use a regex to get the effect you're looking for.

However, at heart, you're looking for a particular effect, not an
application for regexes. I think most of us generally try not to give
negative feedback, in case there's another way to do it that we're not
personally aware of. There might be a way to get this effect that nobody
who's read your message yet has thought of (yet). I can say that I'm
fairly certain that no %... expansion will use a regex in a functional
way, but that doesn't really answer your original question.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 University of Chicago > NSIT > VDN > ENSS > ENSA > You are here