Re: mutt maildir and newmail

* On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 Payal Rathod (payal-vim@xxxxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> I recently changed from mbox format to Maildir format.
>
> I used to navigate properly for new mails using "c".
> Mutt use to get me to the next folder with newmails. Sometimes in some
> folders there are many mails which I don't read that time. But now
> whenever I press "c" mutt again takes me to that folder.

Feature.

> With mbox mutt never did that.

Because since with mbox mutt only checks weather accesstime differs from
modificationtime, mutt doesn't really know there are still new mails in
those mailboxes. Otherwise it would just do the same as it does with
maildir.

> The result is that I "have" to read all the mails in the folders if I
> have to escape mutt not showing them again for newmails.  With mbox
> format it was enough if I just entered that folder.

And you may forget there's even new mail there. :/

> Is this true? Is there any workaround with this?

Why don't you just press space to skip the box you don't want to read?
Mutt will use the order given in the mailboxes command, by the way. So
put those folders use seldom read at the end. Or leave them out
completely.

HTH,

Michael
--
Nearly every complex solution to a programming problem that I
have looked at carefully has turned out to be wrong.

PGP-Key: http://www-stud.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~tatgeml/public.key