Re: display_filters & Apple Mail

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 06:12:02PM +0200, Bernard Massot wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 09:57:44PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting my display filter to convert smart quotes
> > to ordinary quotes on mail coming from Apple Mail.
> I really wonder why they're called "smart quotes", they're not smart at
> all since they're not standard. :-(
>
> > this is the content-type of the mail:

> Never trust headers of crapy mailers !
>
> > quote marks display as a '?'.
> >
> > my display filter might be:    "tr \\\\222 \\\\047"
> >
> > This normally works with stuff from outlook & friends, but does not
> > seem to translate the mails from Apple Mail.
> \222 characters are from the windows-1252 charset, which is specific to
> ms windows. Apple mail probably uses the "mac roman" charset, another
> proprietary anti-standard charset. In this charset there are quotes on
> characters \253 and \325 but they should display as other characters,
> not as '?'. Can you open this mail with an hexadecimal to see what code
> is used ?

I would have also thought like this, but it does appear to be using
/222 for it's quote mark. This I verified both in a hex dump, and by
manually piping the message body through tr from mutt's view
attachment page.

Stuff from Outlook does not display as a question mark - other mac
stuff, using MS-Entourage uses the mac-roman charset and I can
corretly fix this.

Still no luck.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
                                        Psalm 130:3