IMAP problem, apparently sending the wrong username

I'm using Mutt 1.5.4i compiled on FreeBSD, with SSL, IMAP, and a bunch of other options: the -v output is rather lengthy, and I'm not sure if including it is relevant to solving my problem. It works really nicely for reading [Open|Free]BSD's daily / weekly / monthly status emails -- but it's having problems when I try to use it with IMAP. I set the folder to imap://imap.myserver.com/[Inbox|INBOX] , and then accept the TLS certificate. I enter the username and password (I've typed this password at least dozen dozen times, both in Mutt and elsewhere -- I'm positive that I'm typing it properly), but it says "Login failed". Retrieving my POP email from the same machine works fine with Mutt, however -- and so does retrieving that IMAP email with other clients (Pine, Mozilla Thunderbird, Ximian Evolution). I've _tried_ to use ngrep and tcpdump to see if it's sending user@host as my username, but the (@#$()@# thing won't accept non-TLS authentication, and I don't know how to read raw TLS. Anyone have any idea of how I could fix this? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Christopher Nehren