display_filters & Apple Mail

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my display filter to convert smart quotes
to ordinary quotes on mail coming from Apple Mail.

this is the content-type of the mail:

quote marks display as a '?'.

my display filter might be:    "tr \\\\222 \\\\047"

This normally works with stuff from outlook & friends, but does not
seem to translate the mails from Apple Mail.

However,

If I view the message attachments, then pipe the text/plain message
body through "tr \\222 \\047" quotes are correctly translated.

this is my .muttrc line (line broken here for readability):

message-hook
     "~h 'X-Mailer: Apple Mail'"
     "set display_filter='tr \\\\222 \\\\047'"

(btw - something like "tr \\\\143 \\\\103" (ie tr c C) works fine.)
(also the number of backslashes to include seems to be a bit of a
black art to me - I'm really going on trial and error - 4 seems to
work best in .muttrc...)

Does anyone know why I can't get these quotes to work in mutt's pager?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
                                        Psalm 130:3