Re: display_filters & Apple Mail

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 09:57:44PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting my display filter to convert smart quotes
> to ordinary quotes on mail coming from Apple Mail.
I really wonder why they're called "smart quotes", they're not smart at
all since they're not standard. :-(

> this is the content-type of the mail:

Never trust headers of crapy mailers !

> quote marks display as a '?'.
>
> my display filter might be:    "tr \\\\222 \\\\047"
>
> This normally works with stuff from outlook & friends, but does not
> seem to translate the mails from Apple Mail.
\222 characters are from the windows-1252 charset, which is specific to
ms windows. Apple mail probably uses the "mac roman" charset, another
proprietary anti-standard charset. In this charset there are quotes on
characters \253 and \325 but they should display as other characters,
not as '?'. Can you open this mail with an hexadecimal to see what code
is used ?
--
Bernard Massot