Re: not detecting new mail in MailDir format?

Hi,

* Cameron Simpson wrote:

> As I've just posted in the wrong thread (whoops):
>
>   | It only checks based on $mail_check (and $timeout when being idle) and
>   | when changing folders. New mail detection in maildirs should be 100%
>   | reliable.
>
>   Hmm. I've just verified that it's not. I just lurked in a mail folder that
>   gets regular new messages. After a long time, no new messages. Open the
>   folder in another mutt, new messages. Back in the original, still no new
>   messages. mail_check=10. Bounces on '$' just to avoid idleness, if that
>   matters.
>
> This was a folder that was empty, then got new stuff. No possibility of
> being confused by sort orders etc in this case.

Strange. This works for me like a charm and has always worked. As soon
as I'm in a mailbox that gets new mail due to me fetching it, mutt
nearly immediately displays it and resorts the index every $timeout
seconds (since for me $timeout is lower than $mail_check).

What's your value of $timeout?

Rocco