Re: not detecting new mail in MailDir format?

On 25Apr2009 11:35, Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| * Rejo Zenger wrote:
| > I am not sure whether this is of any influence, but I have a lowercase
| > only value for this variable:
| >
| >  |  rejo@trillian:~$ grep mbox_type .mutt/muttrc.common
| >  |  set mbox_type = maildir
| >
| > Maybe, this value is case sensitive?
|
| No it isn't. And mbox_type doesn't have anything to do with it as it
| specifies, what type of folder you want if mutt needs to create a new
| one. Formats of existing folders are, of course, always auto-detected.

Yah. If mutt were confused about that I don't think I'd be able to read
email at all.

As I've just posted in the wrong thread (whoops):

  | It only checks based on $mail_check (and $timeout when being idle) and
  | when changing folders. New mail detection in maildirs should be 100%
  | reliable.

  Hmm. I've just verified that it's not. I just lurked in a mail folder that
  gets regular new messages. After a long time, no new messages. Open the
  folder in another mutt, new messages. Back in the original, still no new
  messages. mail_check=10. Bounces on '$' just to avoid idleness, if that
  matters.

This was a folder that was empty, then got new stuff. No possibility of
being confused by sort orders etc in this case.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I think it rather sad that people have to resort to crude pictograms to convey
their meaning.  How many books do you read that use icons to pass on the
author's intended message?
Smileys are for the illiterata of this age.  :)
        - Nick (the Biker)   DoD 1069  OGRI  MAG 73516    --   M'Lud.
          (He Who Road Rashly)  Work: pettef1n@xxxxxxxxxx
                                Home: biker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx