Re: xterm-title and gnome-panel disagreement..

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:28:21 -0400
"J. Limon" <jlimon@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > > set xterm_set_titles=yes
> > > set xterm_title="Mutt: %m (%n)"
> > >
> > > And it works as expected, Mutt: total messages (new) - but
> > > gnome-panel simply says "Mail", I've never had an instance where
> > > the gnome-panel title was different than the xterm title.
>
> You are right in that I am running it under GNOME in Ubuntu, but I am
> not launching it from a menu (I don't think Ubuntu even supports
> that). I am launching gnome-terminal as normal and then starting mutt
> from that term.
>
> I will try compiling mutt from source and see if this clears up the
> "bug". ;)

I had a chance this morning to look at this under an Ubuntu VM (I
usually run Slackware) so I see what you're talking about.  The mutt
package does drop a mutt file in /usr/share/menu, so I'm not sure why
it doesn't show up in the main gnome menu, but that's a separate issue.

Anyway, I was wrong - it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the
Debian configuration, necessarily.  The ability to change the terminal
title bar appears to be part of the xtitles patch that is applied to
the Ubuntu mutt package.  In addition to the configuration options you
noted in your first email, it also defines an option called
"xterm_icon" with a default value that is more or less "Mail".  By
setting this option separately, I was able to change the name that
appears for the mutt window on the panel.

So add the following to your .muttrc in addition to what you have, and
try it again:
set xterm_icon="Mutt: %m (%n)"

jbb