Re: xterm-title and gnome-panel disagreement..

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 04:12:01PM -0500, Bert Babington wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:24:25 -0400
> "J. Limon" <jlimon@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is a Mutt or GNOME issue..
> >
> > But, I have my .muttrc file set to change the xterm-title (thusly
> > gnome-terminal's title) with..
> >
> > set xterm_set_titles=yes
> > set xterm_title="Mutt: %m (%n)"
> >
> > And it works as expected, Mutt: total messages (new) - but
> > gnome-panel simply says "Mail", I've never had an instance where the
> > gnome-panel title was different than the xterm title.
> >
> > If this is a GNOME issue, I apologize. :)
> >

> Short answer - not a mutt issue.
>
> Actually, I don't believe this is strictly a GNOME problem, either.
>
> I'm working on the assumption that you are using mutt on Ubuntu, or
> some other Debian system?  And that you are starting mutt from the
> GNOME applications menu rather than starting it manually from an open
> xterm window?  If not, then feel free to straighten me out and I'll take
> another look at this.
>
> Otherwise, I think the issue is probably that the numerous patches that
> Debian distros add to the vanilla mutt source are including something
> to integrate mutt with the usual WM menu system.  And something in that
> menu configuration for mutt includes a setting that gnome-panel is
> getting its title from.  Check your system for a mutt.menu or
> mutt.desktop file that is installed by the mutt package and see if that
> might contain something that appears to be significant.
>
> On the other hand, I note the following in the changelog for the most
> recent version of mutt in Ubuntu Intrepid:
> * In order to evade a conflict with the sidebar patch, move the set_xterm_*
>     prototypes from pager.c to mutt_menu.h. No functional change.
>
> It could be that the noted change introduced an unanticipated bug, but
> then I'm not a programmer, so that question is better asked of someone
> else.
>
> In any case, I think you'll find that this problem is one most
> appropriately taken up with the package maintainer for mutt on your
> distro.
>
> jbb

You are right in that I am running it under GNOME in Ubuntu, but I am not
launching it from a menu (I don't think Ubuntu even supports that). I am
launching gnome-terminal as normal and then starting mutt from that term.

I will try compiling mutt from source and see if this clears up the "bug". ;)

--
"If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be
solved, worrying will do no good."