Re: accent problem replying mails

On Friday, April  3 at 09:24 AM, quoth Roger Casaponsa:
>letter in the original mail -->> letter when editing a reply
>ó -->> ó
>ò -->> ò
>à -->> "Ã " (with a space)
>' -->> â<80><99>

Hmmmm. Those look like UTF-8 characters that are being misunderstood
by your editor.

My guess is that your locale isn't specifying a characterset, even if
you think it is. Mutt should ONLY provide message files to your editor
(vim) in the characterset specified in the locale.

>es_ES
>es_ES@euro
>es_ES.iso88591
>es_ES.iso885915@euro
>es_ES.utf8

>I think that es_ES@euro is the same that es_ES.ISO8859-15 because
>when I choose wich locales I want this is displayed like: es_ES@euro
>ISO-8859-15

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Locale names use the
following syntax:

     language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier]

The "@euro" is a modifier that is primarily used for LC_MONETARY
issues, to indicate that there are multiple ways that monetary values
can be formatted (the old way and the euro way). It DOES NOT select a
character set. That's why you have both es_ES@euro *and*
es_ES.iso885915@euro available. Make sense?

Now, I read up a little bit on this (here:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n573-Euro_Handling.pdf),
and here's something I discovered:

     Note that the @modifier cannot be assigned to LC_ALL or LANG. It
     is intended to modify a category (or categories) individually.

So setting LANG to be es_ES@euro is completely incorrect! I didn't
know that.

Try setting your LANG to be es_ES.utf8 and see what happens. I bet
that will fix it for you. You MAY want to set LC_MONETARY to be
es_ES@euro or something similar, but you shouldn't use the @euro
modifier in LANG or in LC_ALL. Does that make sense?

~Kyle
- --
As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others we should
be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours,
                                                   -- Benjamin Franklin